Friday, May 12, 2017

Postcards for the weekend 37: Traditional costumes

Private Swap, Sent from Tabua, Portal
Sent 6 July 2013, Traveled 11,948 km in 20 days

I did a little research about Portuguese traditional costume for women and found out that although it typically varies by region, normally it consists of bouffant long skirt for women. The skirt is called saia and is of vibrant checkered or striped pattern. Well I shouldn't be surprised myself, hailing from a country that was a Spanish colony for 300+ years! The same item of clothing is called saya, in my lingua franca.

Direct Swap, sent from Lithuania
Sent 2 Feb 2012, Traveled 9,116 km

Diana, the sender wrote that this young lady is wearing a traditional Lithuanian costume and is seen here making a bird from yarn.

These two cards are for this weekend's theme -- traditional costumes. To discover more traditional costumes featured in postcards, check out what other participants below have shared on their respective pages.

Happy weekend,
~maria



4 comments:

  1. Oh, how lovely! I have missed you, dear Maria. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it fascinating that traditional costumes from all over the world often have much in common as well as lots of little details being different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great idea for the weekend - sorry I didn't have time to enter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the first card's eccentuation of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: