Saturday, April 4, 2015

D is for Ducal Mansion, England

From temples to castles, for letter "D" --

Sent 31 May 2012 from Southampton, UK
Traveled 10,880.8 km in 20 days

Presently, the Nottingham Castle is known as the "Ducal Mansion". The estate was originally a traditional castle inhabited by kings and queens. It was purchased in 17th century by William Cavendish, first duke of Newcastle upon Tyne, hence the name.

I had the pleasure to visit it back in 2012. But perhaps the more interesting part of my visit to this side of England more than the Ducal Mansion itself were the caves underneath the mansion, the stories of Sherwood Forest and the folklore hero Robin Hood, and the Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem Inn which is just nearby.

Did you know the name on which the Nottingham Castle was built on? Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem, England's oldest pub was also built on the same foundation.

~maria

7 comments:

  1. We used to live near Nottingham. I remember Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem well.

    Anabel at Anabel's Travel Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to England some day and wander through a castle or two.

    Sean at His and Her Hobbies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maria, That is neat to have multiple views on the card. Nice selection! Please keep me posted on your visit ... Looking forward to it! :-) Have a great weekend. John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maria - we have some amazing history here ... and yes that pub does exist - as Annabel comments. I'm glad you had such a fun time here and learnt some interesting facts .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote about Nottingham Castle when I had a castle theme in the A-Z two or three years ago, It's good to see it feature again. I did not know about the Inn.

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: