Friday, August 31, 2012

Smiles from Myanmar

Friendship Gift Postcard, Sender: My twin, Wan
Sent from Nyaung Shwe, Myanmar, Sent on 01 August 2012
Received on 30 August 2012, Traveled 1,657 miles in 30 days

Yesterday, I came home with a really annoying headache from a long and bad day. But what a surprise! My mood was really turned 180 degrees when I saw this postcard on top of my study table. ;-) I fancy postcards with smiling faces. The sender didn't know that cause he's not from the official postcrossing website nor he has been a swap partner from any of the Facebook postcards exchange groups.

Later in the evening when I had the chance to tell him that his surprise card arrived, he told me that when he saw the card in a postcards stand, he instantly knew that it's the perfect card for me. Oh well...he's someone who never fails to make me smile -- so I believe, it's the perfect card to get from him, too!

Myanmar has the old name, Burma -- which is the home of two early civilizations in Southeast Asia, Pyu and Mon. Its official name is The Republic of the Union of Myanmar, which can be seen on the stamp which came with the card.

The dominant religion in Myanmar is Theravada Buddhism. Boys in Myanmar are highly encouraged to study early Buddhism as a novice before they turn 20, and to be a monk after that. The back of this card of novice Buddhist monks says, SMILE. And indeed, their smiles are contagious! 

Happy Postcard Friendship everyone and have a happy weekend! Smile. :)



~ maria

3 comments:

  1. This postcard would definitely cheer anyone up! Smile is contagious, no doubt. And I just can't help but smile looking at the little monks faces.
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope they have more to smile about as Burma gets more and more free.

    ReplyDelete

If you like what you saw, please let me know: